Skip to content
- recall that nutrients are recycled within natural ecosystems, exemplifed by the nitrogen cycle and the phosphorus cycle
- describe the role of microorganisms in recycling elements such as phosphorus and nitrogen, to include:
- The role of saprobionts in decomposition.
- The role of mycorrhizae in facilitating the uptake of water and inorganic ions by plants
- The role of bacteria in the nitrogen cycle in suffcient detail to illustrate the processes of saprobiotic nutrition, ammonifcation, nitrifcation, nitrogen fixation and denitrifcation
- describe and explain the use of natural and artifcial fertilisers to replace the nitrates and phosphates lost by harvesting plants and removing livestock
- describe and explain the environmental issues arising from the use of fertilisers including leaching and eutrophication