Skip to content
- define the terms ‘monomer’ and ‘polymer’
- recall that monosaccharides, amino acids and nucleotides are examples of monomers
- describe biological macromolecules as complex polymers formed by condensation reactions between their respective monomers (to include polysaccharides, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids)
- recall that a condensation reaction joins two molecules together with the formation of a chemical bond and involves the elimination of a molecule of water
- recall that a hydrolysis reaction breaks a chemical bond between two molecules and involves the use of a water molecule.
- explain that the structures of biological macromolecules relate to their functions in organisms